This is a run I’ve done ten or more times over the past few years at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville. I did it yesterday for the first time in a year or more. It’s about five and a half miles — I can’t know for sure because my Garmin always seems to lose satellite contact at some point in this run. It’s mostly gravel road and double wide mountain trails. It’s helpful to get an Arboretum Trail map for this. They don’t actually have a map to download but they do have trail descriptions. They have a nice trail map you can pick up at the Arboretum. Here’s the trail descriptions page …
- Start at the big parking lot between the Education Center and the Baker Exhibit Center.
- Run out the lot and down Greenhouse Way, toward the Greenhouse about .3 miles.
- Just before the road bends to the left and heads up to the Greenhouse, bear right onto Wolf Branch Road (more like a double wide dirt/gravel trail).
- At Bent Creek Trail go left. Follow this to Rocky Cove Road.
- Make a hard (hairpin) right on Rocky Cove Road. Follow this about .4 miles.
- Make a left on Owl Ridge Trail. This is a double wide, moderate uphill trail. Follow about a mile until you intersect with Hard Times Road.
- Left on Hard Times Road and follow about .8 miles, gradual downhill on double wide trail.
- Just before hitting the Gatehouse parking lot, turn left on Old Mill Trail – double wide mulched trail.
- Follow Old Mill Trail to Bent Creek Road (just after crossing a bridge).
- Left on Bent Creek Road. Follow about a mile or so back to Wolf Branch Road.
- Right on Wolf Branch.
- Left on Greenhouse Way. This takes you back to the parking lot.
- You’re done!